On June 1, 1954, a group of Episcopalians desiring to establish an Episcopal mission in Silsbee sent a petition to the Bishop of the Diocese of Texas, the Rt. Rev. Clinton S. Quin.
Bishop Quin accepted the petition on June 7, 1954. After having services first in a home, then a school cafeteria and other locations, St. John's completed and dedicated its first building at our current location on December 16, 1955.
By the mid-1980's, the congregation had outgrown its worship space and added a larger contemporary space, which was completed in 1986. Our altar was made from a large cedar tree, which stood in nearly the exact spot now occupied by the altar.
St. John's has been served over the years by faithful clergy, including the Rev. Frank S. Doremus, the Rev. Grant A. Herbst, the Rev. Joseph Harrison, the Rev. Garrett Wingfield, the Rev. Donald Sheffield, the Rev. James Abernathy, the Rev. Jon Sonnen, the Rev. John Williams, the Rev. Shanna Suarez, the Rev. Mary Wilson, the Rev. John Bedingfield, the Rev. (Deacon) Tracie Middleton and the Rev. John Johnson.